Sunday 25 September 2011

:B: - Jetpack Joyride

It's been a little while since I last posted because I haven't done any significant gaming in a couple of weeks. A few minutes here and there, occasionally an hour before going to bed. But this game is proof that it adds up.

I got Jetpack Joyride after Stuart Campbell recommended it here. I am always open to new iPhone games and Stuart is one of the guys whose iOS recs I trust most. Needless to say I've definitely got my 69p worth.

Yes, Joyride is a glorified 'helicopter dodge the things' game, but it's beautiful, both graphically and in design. The sprites are bright, crisp and well-animated and the backgrounds are detailed. However this isn't the draw. The developers don't half know how to motivate a person to continue playing. You collect coins during play to unlock new things: these range from mohawks and top hats for Barry to bubble jetpacks to magnetic vehicles (which you can also paint gold). There are missions to do during play so you can level up, get more coins and get badges (which in turn get you more coins). And there's also amusingly-named achievements to go for, from reaching a certain distance, to doing so while in top hat and coattails, to knocking over scientists to avoiding everything for 2000m. Yes, you will always have something to aim for next.

After many bus rides, train rides, and lying in beds trying to go to sleep, I've clocked up my 5 hours. And what do I have to show for it? 26 levels, 1 badge, 21 achievements, magnetic vehicles, a punk outfit and a bubble gun jetpack. I still have a lot of play left; those golden vehicles won't buy themselves! I suspect that I'll be playing this on and off for at least the next few months, perhaps more. 5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment