Tuesday 27 September 2011

:B: - Age of Empires Online

Age of Empires Online has been recieving a lot of flak for not being difficult enough. I bought the premium Greeks pack from the store before I knew this. But you know? I'm alright with that.

I am not very good at RTS games. This is a fact. I turtle too much, I don't scout enough, I can never balance my army correctly, hell, my army is very rarely big enough full stop. And I can't multitask for anything. So this game might be more suited towards me than any other RTS.

And so far, my playing experience has been great. The difficulty curve is extremely low, allowing simpletons like myself to ease themselves in. I'm level 8 now, and the missions are getting a little bit difficult, and this is suiting me just fine. It's doing a very good job of easing me into doing more complex things. I just finished a mission where I had to defend a town center for 15 minutes. Now, veterans of the genre could probably do it with their eyes closed, but it struck a balance between keeping me on my toes yet not being too much of a leap from the last mission.

I am one of those people who absolutely loved Age of Empires 2 yet never even managed to finish the tutorial missions. I sucked. Really, really sucked. And Online is Age of Empires 2 with lovely graphics, and a much lowered difficulty curve (plus a chat box in the corner which I admit to have ignored completely).

So to all those people criticizing Age of Empires Online for being too easy? I invite you to fuck off and leave this game to us people who love the genre but suck at it. I think this game is fantastic, so just toddle off. Not every game has to be difficult to be good - which is an attitude that's been bothering me for quite some time. Maybe I'll write an article about it one day. 5/5 stars.

(PS. It's free to play so you should come and play. I'm wastelanderone on there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment